There are a lot of decisions and preparations that go into painting your home’s exterior. You have to find the right paint color, use the right tools, and have some knowledge of what you are doing. It isn’t easy but that is why we have curated the best tips to help make exterior painting a breeze!
Here are 5 tips you should know when painting the exterior of your home:
- Consider Mother Nature – Don’t forget about the weather! It is important to pay attention to the weather if you are going to be outside all day painting. Select a dry time of the year when there is little rain and humidity. Paint needs to dry and will not adhere to surfaces correctly if they are not dry.
- Quality Over Price – The better the paint quality, the fewer times you’ll need to repaint over the years. Paint technology has improved so much that most colors are guaranteed to last longer than they have before. You may be tempted to save some money on cheaper paint, but that will only cause you more trouble, and more money down the road!
- Sand and Wash – Paint doesn’t adhere to wet surfaces, as well as dirty and rough surfaces. Clean the siding and trim around your house. Allow that to dry, then sand. This will ensure the smoothest paint finish.
- Use Primer – Its always been a rule to apply a good coat of primer before your color. This will have the color looking brighter and lasting longer. However, new paint technologies have combined paint and primer into one product, which ultimately will save you money compared to buying two separate products. If your perfect paint color doesn’t include primer in the mix, make sure you apply some before!
- Work from Top to Bottom – Start working your way from the top of the house to the bottom. This will help control streaks, as well as having you work with gravity rather than against it! Drips are going to happen, so this method will help you fix those as you are working rather than having to go backwards.
While painting the exterior of your home can be something you can do yourself, if you don’t feel prepared enough, that’s okay. Hiring a professional painter to get the labor done instead could be the better option. For advice and contractor recommendations, give the team at Nuzum Building Supply a call!